Caucasian Sericulture Station

Architect Szymkiewicz, Alexander

Planning after 1887 Construction 1887-1901

Status built

Original function research and training facility, museum

Current function no function

Condition demolished

Address David Kipiani St, Tbilisi, Georgia
Google Maps

Initially, there were about 25 buildings on the territory of the Caucasus Sericulture Station. The large complex, planned by Alexander Szymkiewicz, involved wide area around Mushthaid Garden with all necessary buildings for silk production, including: silkworm rearing house, egg storage house, silk thread twisting and reeling building, silk knitting workshop, Main Building with museum, library and laboratory, storage facilities, water pump on the Mtkvari River etc.

The area around Sericulture Station was surrounded by mulberry and lime gardens. At that time the complex of Caucasian Sericulture Station was a large-scale urban and landscape project. Today only one residential house for employees (184, Davit Agmashenebeli Ave.) and the Main Building – nowadays State Silk Museum (6, Giorgi Tsabadze St.) are still preserved, other buildings were destroyed at different times. (ntch)

Translation: Ana Kiasashvili
Photos: State Silk Museum archive, National Parliamentary Library of Georgia