Tsirkoli church of the Mother of God

Author of the project Levan Khimshiashvili –Special Scientific-Restoration Studio

Restoration 1957

Status Cultural Heritage Site

Original function Church

Current function same

Location Shida Kartli, near Akhalgori, north from the village Tsirkoli
Google Maps

The Tsirkoli monument belongs to the so called Transitional Period (VIII-IX centuries) and for that reason it has a significant place in the history of the development of Georgian architecture. Orthogonal plan of the building is divided into three main parts. “The central part of the building is covered with a dome. It’s not supported by a tholobate and rests right on the dome circle. The dome isn’t visible externally because it’s located under the gable roof and that’s why the monument is perceived as a basilica. This is an outstanding feature of the Tsirkoli monument.” So is described the Tsirkoli monument by the author of the restoration project – Levan Khimshiashvili.

The restoration project of the Tsirkoli monument is distinctive by its special planning. In the middle of the 20th century by different reasons the bearing walls of Tsirkoli were damaged and the south-eastern corner had inclinations too. Engineers considered demolishing and rebuilding of the corner but Levan Khimshiashvili decided to correct the wall by mechanical construction.

“The south-eastern corner was adjusted to its original place without demolishing, which allowed us to straighten and conserve the monument by repairing the missing parts and when all the elements: apse, rib vault, dome area, arches, the southern wall and the eastern and southern façades wouldn’t be deformed” explains Levan Khimshiashvili. (ntch)

Translation: Ana Kiasashvili
Photos: Levan Khimshiashvili personal Archive

Literature/Links

Levan Khimshiashvili. The Engineering Work and Strengthening Architectural Monuments (Tsiorkoli Temple) geo. Dzeglis megobari 5, 1965

Beridze, Vakhtang. On georgian Architecture. geo. Tbilisi 1974. Pp.40-41

Makalatia, Sergi. Ksani Valley. geo. Tbilisi 1968. Pp.69-72