Alexi-Meskhishvili, Vladimir

ვლადიმერ ალექსი-მესხიშვილი

* 28.09.1915 Tbilisi, Georgia

† 21.06.1978 Tbilisi

Architect

Vladimir (Lado) Alexi-Meskhishvili was born in Tbilisi in 1915. In 1939 he graduated from the Industrial Institute of Georgia majoring in architecture and started working at “Khramhesproekt” in the same year. 1941-44 he served in the army. After Demobilization he began to work on the “Shakhtaproekti” as an architect. From 1955 he worked at “Tbilqalakproeqti” first as a lead architect of the projects, leader of a third architectural workshop (from 1960) and then lead architect of the institute. After 1960 he was a professor at The Faculty of Architecture at Tbilisi State Academy of Art. Between 1963 and 1968 he was Chief Architect of Tbilisi. Lado Alexi-Meskhishvili died in 1978 in Tbilisi. 

Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili was granted the title of the Honored Artist of Georgia (1960), in 1969 he was a laureate of The Shota Rustaveli State Prize (The lower floor of Freedom Square metro station), awards of the Council of Ministers of Georgia (1970) and Komsomol (1972). In 1988 He was awarded with the USSR State Prize (Victory Memorial of Vake-Park), in 1983 the State Prize of Georgia (Building of Central Telegraph) and the Order of Honorable Merit.

Fotos: Georgian Sport Museum, National Archive, Lana Gogoberidze personal Archive, Davit Morbedadze personal Archive

Main Projects

– Sanatorium “Imereti”, Tskaltubo 1957 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Levan Djanelidze, Tinatin Paniashvili)

– The Sports Palace, Tbilisi 196 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Iuri KAsradze, civil engineer: Davit Kadjaia)

– Restaurant “Iori”, Tbilisi 1962 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, N. Vadatchkoria, S. Megrelishvili)

– The Rest-Home of The Council of Ministers, Bitchvinta 1962 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, N.Vadatchkoria)

– Izmir Pavilion of Soviet Georgia, 1965 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, V.Jitovski, Kiazo Nakhutsrishvili, civil engineer: Guram Mebuke)

– The lower floor of Freedom Square metro station, (then Metropolitan station “Lenin Square”), Tbilisi, 1967 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Keta Kobakhidze, civil engineer: Guram Mebuke)

– The Agricultural Institute of Georgia, Tbilisi 1970 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Guram Gabashvili)

– A Motor-transport depot of Ministry Council of Georgia, 1970, Tbilisi (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Kiazo Nakhutsrishvili, Giorgi Kurdiani, civil engineer: Guram Mebuke)

– The Laboratory of Ampelography, 1970, Tbilisi (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili)

– The Victory Memorial of Vake-Park, Tbilisi, 1970 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Kiazo Nakhutsrishvili, civil engineer: Guram Mebuke)

Chess Palace and Alpine Club, Tbilisi 1973, (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Germane Ghudushauri, civil engineer: Guram Mebuke)

– The House of Actors, Tbilisi, 1974 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Kiazo Nakhutsrishvili, civil engineer: Guram Mebuke)

– The Central Postal Service and Telegraph, Tbilisi, 1980 (Vladimir Alexi-Meskhishvili, Teimuraz Mikashavidze, civil engineer: Guram Mebuke)