Khimshiashvili, Levan

ლევან ხიმშიაშვილი

* 23.11.1920 Tbilisi, Georgia

† 21.06.1978 Tbilisi

Architect, restorer and conservator, pedagogue

In 1935, after graduating from the seventh grade of the secondary school in Tbilisi, Levan (Leo) Khimshiashvili continued his studies at the Department of Architecture at the municipal Technical School of Tbilisi, graduating it in 1940. In the same year, he was drafted into the army and served until the end of the Second World War. After being demobilized in 1945, he studied at the Faculty of Architecture in Tbilisi State Academy of Arts graduating it in 1951. While at the Academy, he participated in the expeditions of Institute of Georgian Art History, performing the measurements of architectural monuments.

From 1951 to 1967 Khimshiashvili worked at the Specialized Scientific-Restoration Studio, first as a senior Architect and then as the director (1965-1967). In 1954 he started to work at Tbilisi State Academy of Arts. Since 1963 he taught there descriptive geometry and perspective. In 1969, together with Vakhtang Tsintsandse, he co-founded a Department of Architectural Restoration at the faculty of architecture, which he led himself – as a lecturer of theoretical discipline course and a leader of restoration projects. At the same time, he was a dean of the faculty of Architecture at Tbilisi State Academy of Arts. In 1971 he received his PhD in Architectural Restoration.

Levan Khimshiashvili was Honored Artist of Georgia for his exceptional contribution to the protection of Cultural Heritage (1961).

Info: Ketevan Khimshiashvili
Fotos: Levan Khimshiashvili personal Archive, Teimuraz Kandelaki personal Archive

Main Projects

Samtsevrisi Church of St. George (VII century) Qareli district, 1951

– Saakadze Tower (XV-XVIII centuries), Noste, Kaspi district, 1957

Tsirkoli Church of the Mother of God (VIII century), Akhalgori district, 1957

– Bedia Monastery (X c.), Ochamchire district, 1953, unrealized

– Ateni Sioni (VII century), Gori district, 1958

– Vardzia (XII century), Aspindza district, 1960s

– Skhalta Monastery, (XII century) Khulo district, 1955

– Makhuntseti Bridge (IX-X centuries), Keda district, 1961

– Kintsvisi Church of the Holy Mother (XIII century) Kareli district, 1963

– Zedazeni Church (VIII century) Mtskheta district, 1966

Tkhaba-Yrdy Church, (IX-XV centuries) Ingushetia, Russian Federation, 1971

– Ambara church, (VII-VIII centuries), Gudauta district

– Tsromi (VII century), Khashuri district, 1955-1959, 1976-1977

– The Red Bridge (XVII century), Gardabani District, 1963

– Korogho, Church of the of the Holy Mother (X-XI century), Dusheti district, 1976

Publications

– “Samtsevrisi”, Tbilisi 1962 (geo.)

– “The Work and Objectives of Our Restoration Studio”, Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” №1, 1964 (geo.)

– “The Engineering Work and Strengthening Architectural Monuments” (Tsiorkoli Temple), Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” № 5, 1965 (geo.)

– “A First Swallow, the first exhibit of the Museum of Folk Life and Architecture”, Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” №8, 1965 (geo.)

– “Several issues on Restoration (Tsromi and Bedia)”, Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” №18, 1969 (geo.)

– Khimshiashvili, Levan; Antidze, Manana. “Results of Tkhaba-Yrdy Restoration Works”, Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” №26, 1971 (geo.)

– “Once Again on the Scientific Protection of Tianeti Sion”, Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” №31-32, 1973 (geo.)

– “Training of Architects and Restorers”, Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” №35, 1975 (geo.)

– “The Red Bridge Restoration”, Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” №40, 1976 (geo.)

– “Regarding the Question of Restoration of Tsrom Temple Dome”, Magazine “Dzeglis Megobari” №50, 1979 (geo.)

Literature/Links

Khubuluri, L. Healers of historical monuments. Newsletter “Kommunisti” 22.11.1957 (geo.)

Alshibaia, G., Samtsevrisi. Newspaper “Zaria Vostoka” 01.01.1959 (russ.)

Gurgenidze, R., Stone Healer. Newspaper “Tbilisi” 21.09.1961 (geo.)

Jorbenadze, Victor. The last pages of the history of Sioni. The newspaper “Molodiozh Gruzii” 1964, (russ.)

Editorial article of the newspaper “Tbilisi”. To the right of the restorers. 11.06.1964 (geo.)

Editorial article of the newspaper “Tbilisi”. With restorers’ Hand. 11.06.1964 (geo.)

Aslamazishvili, E., protecting our treasure. Newspaper “Tbilisi” 20.07.1966 (geo.)

Materials on rehabilitation of Samtsevrisi. “Historic Preservation” issue №10 (currently “Preservation – Magazine of the National Trust”)

Irine Elizbarashvili, Manana Suramelashvili, Tsitsino Chachkhunashvili, Khatuna Tchurghulia. The Restoration of Architecture in Georgia. Tbilisi, 2012, ISBN978-9941-0-4207-2 (geo.)

Khimshiashvili, Ketevan. Levan Khimshiashvili (26.05.2013)