* 28.05.1935 Tbilisi, Georgia
† 05.01.1996 Tbilisi, Georgia
Vladimer (Vova) Kurtishvili was born in 1935, Tbilisi. He graduated from the Department of Architecture of the Faculty of Civil Engineering at the Georgian Technical University in 1960 (formerly V.I. Lenin Georgian Polytechnical Institute) and started working as an architect in the 4th architectural studio of Tbilkalakproekti. Later, he led there the 6th architectural studio and in the late 1980s he became director of this institute. Since 1975 he was a lecturer in the Georgian Technical University. Vladimer Kurtishvili died in 1996, Tbilisi, Georgia.
Vladimer Kurtishvili was Honored Architect of Georgia (1979). He received The Order of Friendship of Peoples and the Prize of Young Communist League of Georgia (1982) for the Youth Friendship Memorial. Also, the Prize of Council of Ministers of the USSR (1983) and the Prize of Council of Ministers of Georgia (1984). Vladimer Kurtishvili was Corresponding Member of the International Academy of Architecture (1992).
Info: Irina Kurtishvili
Fotos: Vladimer Kurtishvili personal Archive
– Baratashvili Bridge, Tbilisi, 1965 (Shota Kavlashvili, Vladimer Kurtishvili. Structural Engineer: Giorgi Kartsivadze)
– Swimming pool complex on Rike Park, Tbilisi, 1965 (Shota Kavlashvili, Ramaz Kiknadze, Vladimer Kurtishvili)
– Wine tasting hall “Sachashnike”, Tbilisi, 1970 (Ramaz Kiknadze, Temo Mikashavidze and Vladimer Kurtishvili)
– Restaurant “Marabda”, 1971 (Ramaz Kiknadze, Temo Mikashavidze and Vladimer Kurtishvili)
– Village Niya Gruzinskaya on the Baikal–Amur Mainline, 1975 (Vladimer Kurtishvili, Leo Bokeria, Valeri Bakhtadze, Vladimer Tsintsadze)
– Marjanishvili Street Reconstruction Project, Tbilisi, 1980s (Vladimer Kurtishvili, Zaza Isakadze, Zaza Pilishvili)
– The Youth Friendship Memorial, 1981 (Vladimer Kurtishvili, Valery Bakhtadze, Leo Bokeria, Vladimer Tsintsadze)
– Museum of Military Glory of the Transcaucasian Military District, near Red Bridge, 1981 (Vladimer Kurtishvili, E. Kvernadze)
– The building of art collections of the Georgian National museum, Tbilisi, 1985 (Vladimer Kurtishvili, Nunu Saralashvili)
– Sheraton Metechi Palace Hotel, Tbilisi, 1991 (Shota Kavlashvili, Sh. Gvantseladze, Engin Chakman, Vladimer Kurtishvili)
German Architects in Tbilisi 19st century (curated by Vladimer Kurtishvili and Irina Kurtishvili) Georgian National Library, 1993. The Exhibition was later shown in Saarbrücken and Stuttgart, Germany.
Verlag Müry Salzmann, Salzburg 2016 ISBN 978-3-99014-136-6
Irina Kurtishvili (Ed.) Hotel Orient / Haus der Künstler, Literatur Museum, Tbilisi 2014 ISBN: 978-99940-28-90-0
Nataša Bodrožić and Nini Palavandishvili (Ed.), Spaces. Cultural Public Sphere in Armenia, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine. Verlag Bibliothek der Provinz, Weitra 2014 ISBN: 978-3-99028-425-4